Monday, March 29, 2010

Episode #19: Bittersweet Vol. II

Here is the second installation of the Bittersweet Series, an exercise in reflective, introspective music. Again, it’s not all feel-bad-for-yourself numbers, especially the first track by Edward Sharpe & The Magentic Zeros, which simmers with the simple joy of coming home and the people (or person) that become synonymous with that very place. Also, Sister Rosetta Tharpe’s “Up Above My Head I Hear Music in the Air” pretty much captures the pure ecstasy of music.

Bruce Springsteen’s classic, “Atlantic City” from his stripped down, bare-bones Nebraska album and “Heaven” performed live by David Byrne and Tina Weymouth (of Talking Heads) both show what happens when big name artists tone it down and make quietly powerful songs. I also chose to include some lesser-known bands such as Lightning Dust and The Dry Spells to round out the set and give some balance to the heavier hitters. Finally, Elliott Smith’s breathy and hushed delivery and Bill Callahan’s gorgeous baritone provide their straightforward, literal lyrics with even more emotional punch.

Perhaps Eels (AKA Mark Everett AKA “E”) sums up the vibe I was going for best in “Ordinary Man:”

I’d rather be alone
Than try to be someone that I'm not
And you seem like someone
Who could appreciate the fact
That I'm no ordinary man

Give it a listen and I hope you enjoy.

Track listing:
1) Home (5:03) - Edward Sharpe & The Magentic Zeros
2) Stillness (4:36) – David Berkeley
3) Simple X (3:37) – Andrew Bird
4) Black Is The Color (5:51) – The Dry Spells
5) New York I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down (5:36) – LCD Soundsystem
6) The Hazards Of Love 4 (5:57) – The Decemberists
7) Atlantic City (4:01) – Bruce Springsteen
8) Take It Home (6:04) – Lightning Dust
9) Heaven (3:41) – Talking Heads
10) 2:45 AM (3:19) – Elliott Smith
11) Up Above My Head I Hear Music In The Air (2:33) – Sister Rosetta Tharpe
12) Sweet Darlin’ (2:41) – She & Him
13) Ordinary Man (3:15) – Eels
14) Jim Cain (4:39) – Bill Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biz Never Sleeps

The Biz Never Sleeps
Click on Biz to access older episodes...