Monday, November 30, 2009

Episode #8: Bittersweet Series Vol. I

I’ve always had an obsession with break-up mix tapes. I guess that’s how I began what I refer to as the Bittersweet Series several years ago. I thought the name (albeit a little sappy) was a great way to describe the music I chose to put together – songs simultaneously pleasant and painful (not necessarily about break-ups). However, some volumes I created have tendencies that lean toward one side or the other. This seventh installation is seemingly more towards the bitter, feeling-sorry-for-yourself side. Despite that inclination, I feel that these songs are so powerful that you still will want to hear them even when things are looking up. Perhaps just pensive walk alone is what this mix calls for.

That’s what I always found fascinating about music: you can always find a connection to certain songs regardless where you are in your emotional calendar. One simple fact remains – a good song is a good song.

Give it a listen and I hope you enjoy.

P.S. This is the first podcast of the Bittersweet Series so be on the lookout for volumes to come later.

Track listing:
1) All For The Best (5:29) – Thom Yorke
2) I’m Only Sleeping (3:00) – The Beatles
3) Spirit In The Night (5:00) – Bruce Springsteen
4) Revenge (4:54) – Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse feat Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips
5) Ram On (2:27) – Paul McCartney
6) Blue Light (2:47) – Bloc Party
7) How Will You Meet Your End (4:02) – A.A. Bondy
8) Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (3:49) – George Harrison
9) In My Dreams (3:23) – Eels
10) Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (1:52) – The Smiths
11) Apathy (2:55) – Elizabeth & the Catapult
12) Island, IS (4:09) – Volcano Choir
13) Angel From Montgomery (3:45) – John Prine
14) Made In The Dark (3:00) – Hot Chip
15) Feeling The Pull (2:21) – The Swell Season
16) Blue Skies (4:08) – Noah And The Whale
17) Grow Old With Me (3:05) – John Lennon


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biz Never Sleeps

The Biz Never Sleeps
Click on Biz to access older episodes...